Universal Precautions – Blood and Bodily Fluids
- Use impermeable gloves if blood, or bodily fluids containing visible blood, are anticipated.
- Stop the bleeding, cover the wound and change the student’s clothing if contaminated with excessive amounts of blood.
- Follow accepted guidelines for control of bleeding and for any bodily fluids containing blood.
- Wash hands and other affected skin areas after contact with blood.
- Clean any surfaces or equipment with appropriate disinfectant.
- Clean clothes or skin with soap and water or an appropriate antiseptic.
- Use proper disposal procedures for contaminated clothing and equipment.
- Use a ventilation device for emergency resuscitation.
- Avoid direct contact with student if you have an open skin condition.