IMPORTANT: Ophea will be updating the concussion protocol to align with the revised PPM 158 once the revised PPM is released in Fall 2019.
The Ministry of Education’s Policy/Program Memorandum No. 158: School Board Policies on Concussion recognizes the Ontario Physical Activity Safety Standards in Education’s Concussion Protocol as the minimum standard for school boards. The Concussion Protocol was developed in partnership with Parachute and aligns with the Berlin Consensus Statement on Concussion in Sport and the Canadian Guideline on Concussion in Sport.
The Concussion Protocol:
- The Ontario Physical Activity Safety Standards in Education’s Concussion Protocol
- Chart 1: Identifying a Suspected Concussion – Steps and Responsibilities
- Chart 2: Diagnosed Concussion - Stages and Responsibilities
Access the Concussion Protocol’s Tools:
- Sample Tool to Identify a Suspected Concussion
- Sample Medical Concussion Assessment Form
- Sample Medical Concussion Clearance Form
- Sample Home Concussion Management Form (RTS and RTPA)
- Sample School Concussion Management Form (RTS and RTPA)
Ophea’s Professional Learning Opportunities
Ophea’s Concussion Identification, Management and Prevention for Schools e-Learning module
Ophea's Concussion identification, Management and Prevention for School e-Learning Module was developed to increase awareness and understanding of concussion, and the method and strategies to be used for identification and appropriate management. The module, updated to align with the Ontario Physical Activity Safety Standards in Education’s Concussion Protocol, also includes strategies and resources to assist in the education of concussion prevention. This e-learning module is intended for all school staff including educators, administrators and support staff.
Government of Ontario Concussion Portal
The Government of Ontario Concussion Portal includes additional resources focusing on the prevention, identification and management of concussion, and organized by audience (for example, parents, educators, coaches, officials, athletes, children, youth and health care providers).