Safety in Fitness Rooms
Also consult the Fitness Activities activity page in the Curricular setting.
To Qualify to Use the Fitness Room
- Athletes must be instructed in proper fitness and weight-training techniques and safety procedures, either in physical education class or a training session developed by staff with expertise. This should be reviewed as needed.
- Athletes must be made aware of inherent risks specific to fitness centre activities.
- Athletes and parents need to sign a consent form prior to athlete’s use of weight/fitness rooms (consult the Sample Interschool Parent/Guardian Letter and Sample Interschool Medical Information and Consent to Participate Form, and the Sample Intramural Parent/Guardian Letter and Sample Intramural Medical Information and Consent to Participate Form).
- Athletes must have an identifiable pass/tag to enter fitness room and sign in and out of area.
- Only athletes training are allowed in the room. No spectators.
- For elementary activities, the supervising coach/intramural supervisor must be on-site.
- For secondary activities the supervising coach/intramural supervisor must be in the area.
- Fitness rooms require an on-site monitor. Monitors may be educational assistants, retired teachers, parents, co-op students, teacher candidates or trained senior students.
- Duties of the coach/intramural supervisor include:
- checking the pass/tag of all students who enter fitness room;
- opening and locking the fitness room using procedure established by the school;
- determining that students are following posted rules and procedures;
- establishing a procedure to regularly disinfect equipment; and
- making sure the room is left in proper order.
Rules of Use
- The minimum number of students using the fitness room at any given time is two.
- Suitable clothing and footwear must be worn.
- Jewelry is not allowed in the fitness room.
- Procedures must be established so that the facility and equipment are inspected by a teacher/coach on a daily basis.
- A process must be in place so that equipment needing repair is identified, removed from use and repaired.
- Any violation of rules may result in some form of sanction being applied (for example, suspension or loss of pass/tag, closure of fitness room).
- A process must be in place where fitness equipment is disinfected on a regular basis (consult with your school board’s facilities services for appropriate/approved cleaning products).