Track and Field (Track Events)
Secondary - Interschool 2021
- Check batons for cracks or splinters.
- Check safety of starting blocks, if they are used.
- Starter pistol must be locked away safely when not in use.
- Appropriate clothing and footwear must be worn. 5mm spikes on rubberized or asphalt tracks or 9mm spikes on cinder tracks may be worn. No track shoes with spikes removed or turf shoes permitted. No bare feet or socks without shoes permitted.
- All tracks must be inspected annually and maintained as necessary.
- Students running off-site for practice must use approved route.
- Practice surface and surrounding area must be free of all obstacles (for example, tables, chairs), and must provide safe footing and traction.
- “Blacktop” strips and open fields may be used if areas are suitable, smooth, clean, level and safe footing and traction.
- Run-out areas must be in place for all running events, school hall and stairway running.
- Consult Safety in Activity Rooms, for safety precautions when using non-gym areas.
Indoor Running – Use of Hallways and Stairs
- At turnaround or end points, designate a safety or slow down zone (for example, using pylons).
- Designate a safety zone (for example, using pylons) for all doors that open out into the hall.
- Where school hallways or stairways are used for training purposes, appropriate safety measures must be in place:
- all classroom doors that open out have to be secured open, flush with hall wall
- hallway protrusions must be clearly marked
- inform appropriate staff members of times and location of indoor practices
- no running to take place where showcases presents a hazard
- hall double doors have to be secured open
- monitors must be positioned at corners
- floor surface must be dry and provide good footing
- stairways must have a railing
- students must be instructed on safety procedures for running stairs (for example, one step at a time, blind spots, spatial awareness, using railings for balance, maintaining body control, respect for personal space)
- No student may participate in a competition without prior skill development and practice.
- When running above distances in practice, students may be temporarily out of sight and must run in pairs or groups.
- On-site supervision for sprints and relays.
- In-the-area supervision is required for middle distance (400m, 800m and 1500m, 3000m and hallway/stair running.
- Constant visual supervision of starter pistol when in use.
Mon, 09/13/21 07:35 am