Secondary - Interschool 2021
- Wooden bats must not be cracked. All bats must have a proper grip.
- The bats and gloves must comply with the current Baseball Ontario rules.
- The batter, on-deck batter, bat person, base runners and base coaches (located behind first and third bases) must wear a properly fitted (as per manufacturer’s guidelines) and properly worn batting helmet with flaps, covering both ears and certified by a recognized safety standards association.
- The catchers must wear all of the equipment specified under Baseball Ontario rules (for example, all catchers are required to wear a mask with throat protector, a helmet, a chest protector, shin guards, a cup and a cup-type supporter).
- The warm-up catchers must wear a mask with throat protection.
- Suitable protection for the pelvic area must be worn by all the players.
- All of the equipment not being used must be kept out of the playing/practice area.
- The bases must be properly secured.
- Where pitching machines are being used, they must be inspected prior to use and be under the direct supervision of a teacher/coach.
- Student umpires must wear a mask and chest pad when positioned behind home plate.
- Baseball Ontario approved footwear (for example, metal cleats, molded cleats) may be worn.
- Diamond must be level and groomed.
- Practice fields must be level, and away from traffic and other activities.
- If, in the opinion of the umpire, after consultation with both coaches, the field is deemed to be unsafe for play, the game must be rescheduled.
- Entrance gates to the playing field must be closed at all times.
- Dugouts and/or players’ benches must be screened to protect players.
- Prior to use, backstops, fences and fields must be checked for hazards. Any hazards found must be reported to students and appropriate officials.
- Before sliding is permitted, appropriate sliding techniques must be taught to minimize the risk of injury.
- Warm ups and drills (for example, hitting, throwing, stretching) must each be in a dedicated area so that one activity does not present a hazard to another.
- Players must be taught to drop or lay the bat down after hitting, not release it during the follow-through of the swing.
- Inform the students about the importance of keeping their eyes on the flight of the ball when playing offense (for example, running bases) and when playing defense (for example, pitcher, infielders and outfielders).
- Pitchers are limited to the Baseball Ontario limits.
- Players not involved in the game must be in dugout or behind players’ benches.
- When practicing indoors with a regulation bat:
- Use a batting cage
- Use a pitching machine in a confined area free from student traffic or use a pitcher behind a protective cage or batters hit off a tee (in each case batters hit into a cage)
- All non active players must be behind cage, no fielders allowed
- On-site supervision is required.
Mon, 09/13/21 07:35 am