Track and Field (Pole Vault)
Secondary - Interschool 2022
High Risk Activity
Weighted rope or elastic may be used rather than a crossbar, for practice.
Check crossbars and fiberglass poles for cracks regularly.
- Landing pits must be specific to pole vaulting and be a minimum of 5m (excluding the front pieces) x 5m x 0.8m as specified by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF). The front pieces must be at least 2m long.
- Landing mats must not slide on impact.
- Poles must be approved as specified by the International Athletic Federation (IAAF).
- Poles must be appropriate to weight of student.
- Bamboo poles must be totally wrapped with tape before using.
- Standard must be secure and vertical.
- Check standards regularly for damage and repair or replace as needed.
- Appropriate clothing and footwear must be worn. Track spikes as allowed by the International Association of Athletics Federations and competition facility.
- Approach must be clear of obstacles, clean and free of puddles and provide safe footing and traction.
- Vaulting trough must be solid and free from cracks or splinters.
- Front edge of vaulting trough must be flush with runway.
- Run-up area markings must prevent other participants from interfering with competitor in progress.
- No student may participate in a competition without prior skill development and practice.
- Constant visual supervision.
- Instructor must be near take off area during practice.
- At least one track and field - pole vault coach must possess one of the following coaching qualifications:
- NCCP Competition Coach – Club Coach Course
- Accreditation as a NCCP Track and Field Learning Facilitator
- Completion of athletics NCCP level 1 and/or level 2 certification in the past
- Attendance at a clinic or workshop within the last three years provided by an instructor who is knowledgeable of the activity (for example, appropriate skills and progressions), and where safety is addressed as outlined in the Ontario Physical Activity Safety Standards in Education
- Past experience within the last 3 years as a coach in track and field - pole vault, having knowledge of the activity (for example, appropriate skills and progressions) and current safety practices as outlined in the Ontario Physical Activity Safety Standards in Education.
Mon, 09/13/21 07:35 am