Track and Field (Javelin)
Secondary - Interschool 2022
High Risk Activity
- Javelin must be appropriate in size for the age and strength of the student during practices.
- For competitions, OFSAA rules are: Girls, 600g. Boys midget and junior, 600g. Boys senior, 800g.
- Javelin must not be cracked, bent or otherwise damaged and must be checked regularly.
- Turbo javelins/turbojavs and other equivalent commercially made equipment may be used for practice. No homemade equipment.
- Ensure equipment joints and noses are tight before throwing.
- The throwing area must be free of obstacles and completely closed to traffic (no other activity can be located in the area where javelin is taking place).
- The landing area must be well marked and void of people during the activity.
- The run up area must provide safe footing and traction.
- No student may participate in a competition without prior skill development and practice.
- Skills and techniques associated with the javelin throw must be taught in proper progression. The importance of throwing techniques must be emphasized.
Establish a Safe Routine for the Transportation and Use of Equipment
- Instruction in safety must be given prior to practice.
- Javelins must be carried safely to and from practice/competition area (for example, the javelin must point downwards and not be carried on or over the shoulder).
- Establish safe routines for throwing and retrieving of the javelin.
- Retrieved javelins must be carried safely back to the throwing line.
- All participants must receive instruction on the importance of safety procedures when throwing, retrieving the javelin after a throw and return to the safety zone or area prior to anyone throwing.
- Constant visual supervision is required.
- At least one track and field - javelin coach must possess one of the following coaching qualifications:
- NCCP Competition Coach – Club Coach Course
- Accreditation as a NCCP Track and Field Learning Facilitator
- Completion of athletics NCCP level 1 and/or level 2 certification in the past
- Attendance at a clinic or workshop within the last three years provided by an instructor who is knowledgeable of the activity (for example, appropriate skills and progressions), and where safety is addressed as outlined in the Ontario Physical Activity Safety Standards in Education
- Past experience within the last 3 years as a coach in track and field - javelin, having knowledge of the activity (for example, appropriate skills and progressions) and current safety practices as outlined in the Ontario Physical Activity Safety Standards in Education.
Mon, 09/13/21 07:35 am