Secondary - Curricular 2023
- All equipment must be checked before use and repaired as necessary.
- A process must be established where equipment needing repair is identified and removed from use.
- Equipment use must be based on skills that are taught.
- Place a utility mat directly below high apparatus (for example, chinning board, peg board).
- Students may use personal audio devices with headphones after initial instruction on any equipment that does not require a spotter or ongoing instruction. The personal audio device must not pose a safety hazard (for example, headphone cord length).
- No exposed hanging jewellery permitted.
- Weight room must be locked when unsupervised.
- Floor surface must not allow weights to slide or slip.
- To provide free flow of motion, allow adequate space between weight-training activities.
- All students must be instructed in the proper lifting techniques and safety procedures (for example, spotting).
- Skills and procedures must be reviewed regularly.
- Adequate storage for free weight plates must be in place.
- Free-weight plates must be secured in place before using.
- All programs must be individualized.
- A buddy system must be used when lifting free-weights over body.
- Stress correct body alignment for injury prevention.
- Students must be instructed on rules and gym etiquette for weight training.
- A process must be developed to regularly disinfect equipment.
- There is a minimum of 2 students in the fitness room at any one time.
On-site supervision is required for initial instruction and use of free weights and weight machines.
In-the-area supervision is required, following instruction on safe use.
Note: Intramural/Club situations require in-the-area supervision with a trained monitor on site.
Fri, 08/25/23 09:46 am