Track and Field (Modified Javelin Activities)
Elementary - Curricular 2020
- Grades 4-8 only.
- Regulation javelins must not be used.
- Commercially made foam javelins, turbo javelins, turbojavs and equivalents may be used. When using this commercially made equipment the maximum weight for junior and intermediate students is 300g.
- Ensure equipment joints and noses are tight before throwing.
- Appropriate clothing and footwear must be worn. No track spikes are permitted.
- No exposed hanging jewellery is permitted.
- The throwing area must be free of obstacles and completely closed to traffic (for example, no other activity can be located in the area where javelin is taking place).
- The landing area must be well marked and void of people during the activity.
- The run up area must provide safe footing and traction.
- Skills and techniques associated with the javelin throw must be taught in proper progression. The importance of throwing techniques must be emphasized.
- Establish safe routines for throwing and retrieving.
- Establish a safe routine for transporting equipment to and from the throwing area.
- Equipment must never be thrown back to the throwing area.
- All participants must receive instruction on the importance of safety procedures when throwing, retrieving the equipment after a throw and return to the safety zone or area prior to anyone throwing.
- Constant visual supervision during initial instruction.
- On-site supervision after skills and procedures have been taught.
Fri, 09/04/20 12:39 pm