Elementary - Curricular 2021
- The equipment must appropriate for the size, weight, age, skill and ability level of the students.
- All the balls must be properly inflated.
- No homemade equipment can be used
- No exposed jewellery permitted.
- Non-gym indoor facilities (for example, foyer, classroom, hall, concourse, etc.) must enable students to move freely (consult Safety in Activity Rooms).
- Students must be instructed in how to move safely in personal and general space.
- Establish rules for the distribution and return of equipment.
- Emphasize with students what cooperation looks like and sounds like.
- Walls and stages cannot be used as turning points and end zones. A marker (for example, line or pylon) must be designated away from the wall and properly identified.
- Establish rules and procedures in the gym before going outdoors (for example, stop/start signals).
Running and relays
- Students must not be blindfolded.
- No running backwards.
- Participants in a relay must have their own lane.
- Be aware of increased risk with tying legs together.
Games that include tagging
- Clearly define areas of the body that can be tagged (for example, arms, back, legs)
- Instruct students that a tag is a touch, not a push, punch or grab
- Where blockers are permitted, they are not to intentionally make contact with the tagger with their bodies, arms or legs, but rather to move in front of the tagger
- On-site supervision is required.
- Students must never be in equipment room unsupervised.
Mon, 09/13/21 07:31 am