New revised Concussion Protocol and implementation tools now available.
The Ministry of Education’s Policy/Program Memorandum No. 158: School Board Policies on Concussion recognizes the Ontario Physical Education Safety Guidelines Concussion Protocol as the minimum standard for school boards. The revised 2018 Concussion Protocol was developed in partnership with Parachute and aligns with the Berlin Consensus Statement on Concussion in Sport and the Canadian Guideline on Concussion in Sport.
- Chart 1: Identifying a Suspected Concussion – Steps and Responsibilities
- Chart 2: Diagnosed Concussion - Stages and Responsibilities
Access the revised concussion protocol implementation tools:
- Appendix C-2 - Sample Tool to Identify a Suspected Concussion
- Appendix C-3 - Sample Documentation of Medical Assessment
- Appendix C-4 - Sample Documentation for Concussion Management - Home Preparation for Return to School (RTS) and Return to Physical Activity (RTPA) Plan
- Appendix C-5 - Sample Documentation for School Concussion Management – Return to School (RTS) and Return to Physical Activity (RTPA) Plan
- Appendix C-6 - Sample Documentation for Medical Clearance
- Appendix C-7 - Sample Concussion Prevention Strategies
Access the revision summary, What's Changed in the Ontario Physical Education Safety Guidelines Concussion Protocol and Implementation Tools?
Recognize Rowan’s Law Day at your school! Come back soon to access Rowan’s Law Day Toolkit for Schools.
Ophea’s Professional Learning Opportunities
Updated September 2018 – Ophea’s Concussion Identification, Management and Prevention for Ontario Schools e-Learning module
Developed to increase awareness and understanding of concussion, and the method and strategies to be used for identification and appropriate management. The module also includes strategies and resources to assist in the education of concussion prevention. This e-learning module is intended for all school staff including educators, administrators and support staff. For more information please visit: https://www.ophea.net/professional-learning/e-learning
Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care Concussion Portal
The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care Concussion Portal includes additional resources focusing on the prevention, identification and management of concussion, and organized by audience (e.g., parents, educators, coaches, officials, athletes, children, youth and health care providers).